Friday, August 24, 2012

Homemade Fish Sticks


The other day I read something about making your own fish sticks. I thought to myself this would be a great idea considering all the crap they put in processed foods these days. So I set out to the store and bought some Cod fish and some Panko and came up with this :)

Here's what you'll need:
*a couple filets of fresh or frozen Cod. (one serving is 90g cooked)
*1/4c of panko (If you're making more than 2 servings you can increase this)
*olive oil
**Add your choice of sides**




Making it took about 5-10 minutes to prep and 15 to bake, so in 20-25minutes you can have homemade, non-processed fish sticks!

Here's what to do:
First, preheat your oven to 350*F
Second, lightly brush a small amount of olive oil onto the fish (this will help the panko stick)
Next, with a sharp knife, cut the fish into strips. (cut against the grain to keep from tearing apart)
Next, coat each strip of fish with Panko and place on to a cookie sheet.  **MAKE SURE you spray the pan or foil with a nonstick spray... not too much tho that stuff has calories too!**

Finally, place cookie sheet into the oven and bake for 15min.

I chose to serve mine with ketcup because I didn't have any relish to make a tarter sauce with but if you want to make a tarter sauce you can use light miracle whip or mayo OR plain greek yogurt for and relish for an even healthier version (all though my personal taste buds do not approve of this method haha)

For sides I chose quick canned sweet corn and green beans. Believe it or not I actually measured the corn on that plate out and that was LESS than 1 serving... I couldn't believe it, I had to check the label twice.

This meal has mine and my 3 year old sons stamp of approval. The fish sticks are delicious :) They taste way better than the frozen fried store bought kind AND are signifcantly healthier. ENJOY!

Weight Watchers Points Plus Value: 5points (including ketcup and sides)

No comments:

Post a Comment